Duromine and Reductil – these are two weight loss medications that have some principle differences. Both these medications have an anorexigenic effect and may contribute to the metabolism increase. However, these are the only similarities of Duromine and Reductil.
First of all, it should be noted that Reductil medication is no longer sold in many world countries. For about 10 years, Reductil has been sold in the European Economic Area by prescription only. In 2010, Reductil was removed from the European pharmaceutical market and its sale was discontinued in the EU countries.
In 2014, Reductil can be bought only in some countries in the world. One of such countries is South Africa. At SA pharmacies, you can find capsules Reductil 10 and Reductil 20. It should be noted that in South Africa, one can buy as Reductil capsules, so and Duromine capsules. The price of Duromine and Reductil in South Africa is almost identical.
Manufacturers of Reductil and Duromine
- Reductil medication is manufactured by a global pharmaceutical company Abbott Laboratories.
- Duromine medication is manufactured by an Australian pharmaceutical company iNova and a New Zealand company Douglas Manufacturing Ltd.
Pharmaceutical form of Reductil and Duromine
- Abbott produces oral capsules Reductil.
- iNova and Douglas produce oral capsules Duromine.
Active ingredients of Reductil and Duromine
- Each Reductil capsule contains 10mg or 15mg of active substance Sibutramine.
- Each Duromine capsule contains 15mg, 30mg or 40mg of active substance Phentermine.
Pharmacological group of active ingredients Phentermine and Sibutramine
- Phentermine (Duromine) – amphetamine (sympathomimetic amine)
- Sibutramine (Reductil) – serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor
Indications for the use of Reductil (Sibutramine) and Duromine (Phentermine)
- Reductil pills are prescribed as a long-term therapy of obesity. The maximum recommended duration of using Reductil pills is 2 years.
- Duromine pills are prescribed as a short-term therapy of obesity. The maximum recommended duration of using Duromine pills is 3 months.
Reductil vs Duromine – potential health risk
- Reductil may cause cardiovascular pathologies and serotonin syndrome.
- Duromine may cause cardiovascular pathologies and drug dependence.
Marketing status of Reductil and Duromine
Reductil pills were sold in Australia, Belgium, German, Sweden, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, the UK, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and NZ. In the countries listed above, Reductil pills are no longer sold. One of the countries where Reductil pills are still available for retail sale is South Africa.
Duromine pills are sold in South Africa and in the countries of the Asia-Pacific region (Australia, NZ, and Singapore). In all these countries, Duromine is available by prescription only.
Price of Duromine and Reductil
In 2013, the recommended price of a diet pill in South Africa:
- Reductil 10mg was 8.88 ZAR*
- Reductil 15mg was 10.61 ZAR*
- Duromine 15mg was 6.32 ZAR*
- Duromine 30mg was 8.16 ZAR*
In the first quarter of 2014, the price of diet pills Duromine and Reductil is still the same.
*ZAR – South African Rand (currency)
At the beginning of 2013, one ZAR was about 1.2 US Dollar
At the beginning of 2014, one ZAR is about 0.9 US Dollar
If you want to buy Duromine or Reductil at low price but they are expensive in your city, try to find out from the treating doctor the information about available cheap:
- Duromine generic drugs (diet pills containing Phentermine)
- Reductil generic drugs (diet pills containing Sibutramine)
If you decide to buy cheap generic drugs Reductil or Duromine on online pharmacy, make sure that these RX drugs can be delivered to the region you live.